- Care Services
- Lifestyle Services
- Admissions and Price
- Map & Contact
- Amaroo Aged Care Facility offers residents a modern, secure and comfortable living environment where their life will be invigorated with stimulating activities and new friendships.
Amaroo is ideally situated to enable residents to stay connected with their local community. Located in Charlestown, it’s close to entertainment, leisure and essential services, Newcastle City centre, and the picturesque Lake Macquarie area.
Through Amaroo’s ageing in place philosophy, we cater for the advancement of a person’s total care needs all within a familiar and supportive environment.
Our staff are passionate about enhancing the lives of people in our care, and take a holistic approach which encompasses the physical, psychological, emotional, spiritual and lifestyle needs of our residents to ensure their wellbeing.
Being an approved Extra Services facility, we are able to provide additional hotel-type services including private rooms with ensuite bathrooms, increased leisure and entertainment activities, and greater meal choices.
Amaroo is part of the Hunter Valley Care family, an Australian, family-owned business that has been providing aged care services to the people of Newcastle and the Hunter for over 30 years. Hunter Valley Care is continually upgrading and expanding Amaroo to ensure the level of excellence is maintained. You will find it a bright, spacious and innovative facility that you or your loved one will be proud to call home.
We look forward to meeting with you to discuss how we can best accommodate and support you or your loved one at Amaroo.
For more information Contact our Admissions Officer Michelle:
02 4943 3675, 8:30am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
- 102 bed residential aged care facility
- Seven wings over three levels
- 24-hour nursing care
- Modern, homely living environment
- Stimulating lifestyle programs
At Amaroo, our person-centred approach to care is founded on the belief that every person is a valued individual in their own right, worthy of respect and deserving of a life lived to the fullest. With this in mind, we tailor care plans to cater to the needs of the individual, respecting personal choices and preferences as much as we can.
We want our residents to be assured that Amaroo will be their home for as long as they want. Through our ageing in place philosophy, we cater for the needs of our residents as they change over time.
Our residents can also be assured that help is always on hand, with nursing staff (including a Registered Nurse, as well as Assistants in Nursing) available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Amaroo comprises 102 beds in seven wings over three levels. Elevators link all floors and there are no steps to negotiate. Both spacious private and shared rooms are available, all with non-slip flooring and equipment to aid people who are physically challenged.
Being an approved Extra Services facility, the remaining accommodation comprises hotel-style private rooms with ensuite bathrooms, increased leisure and entertainment activities, and greater meal choices.
Our residents can be assured their home is safe and secure, with a comprehensive security system enabling us to monitor activities throughout the facility 24 hours a day. There is also a locked keypad system for all entry and exit doors.
Emergency call buttons installed to residents’ bedrooms, bathrooms and throughout the communal areas of the facility alert nursing staff around the clock in the case of an emergency. We can also supply a Vital Call personal emergency alert pendant for residents to keep on their person.
No matter what level of care our residents choose, the most important thing is that Amaroo feels like home. We encourage residents to decorate their room with personal items to make the space their own.
At Amaroo, we share a passion for helping people get the most out of life by staying active, stimulated and connected. Our residents are provided with enriching lifestyle activities that promote socialisation, but as always, we respect personal choice regarding participation.
Amaroo has regular pet therapy, and in addition visitors are encouraged to bring beloved family pets when they visit.
Residents are encouraged to treat Amaroo as they would their own home.
With no set visiting hours, family and friends are welcome to visit their loved one whenever they please. We also support our residents’ independence, encouraging them to go on outings or stay overnight with family and friends. Staff will help residents get ready for these occasions and can arrange transport if required.
Our Admissions Officer Michelle Peden is happy to help you and your loved one through the admission process, and is available to answer any questions you have. Alternatively, contact Michelle to arrange a personal tour of Amaroo on 02 4943 3675, 8:30am–4:30pm Monday to Friday.
Amaroo’s four-step admissions process
1. Make an appointment with our Admissions Officer Michelle Peden to discuss the care and lifestyle services required for you or your loved one. Michelle will happily give you a personal tour of Amaroo and will discuss:
- The level of care you require;
- The types of accommodation available;
- Costs involved with your preferred accommodation type and care services required;
- Activities available to residents and various aspects of the operation of Amaroo;
- Personal items the resident would like to bring;
- Possible admission date.
2. To determine a person’s eligibility to move into Residential Aged Care, a member of the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) is required to complete an assessment of the person seeking care. For more information, please refer to Q&A – About Aged Care.
3. Should you wish to proceed with an application, Michelle will confirm your admission date and arrange a meeting with the family prior to admission to complete the necessary paperwork. To this meeting, the family will need to bring:
- ACAT Aged Care Client Record provided by your ACAT member;
- Copy of Power of Attorney or Enduring Guardianship papers;
- Medicare pension card details;
- Bank account details to set up direct debiting if preferred.
At this meeting, the family will also meet with our Care Manager Gary Brassington to discuss a care plan for your loved one and steps for ongoing assessment. Michelle can also arrange a transport transfer for the resident from hospital if required.
4. On the day of admission, Michelle will have the Resident Contract prepared for signing. We understand that the transition into aged care can be challenging for both the person coming into our care and their family. Our compassionate staff will help new residents settle into their new living environment, paying particular attention to their emotional needs.
Please contact Michelle with any questions or to arrange a personal tour of Amaroo on 02 4943 3675, 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
Listed below is the maximum price (accommodation payment) you may be asked to pay for individual rooms: you may be able to negotiate a lower price with the home.
Tier 1: Shared room with shared bathroom (maximum room occupancy 2 people).
Maximum refundable deposit $250,000.00 or maximum daily payments $39.59
Tier 2: Single room with ensuite.
Maximum refundable deposit $320,000.00 or maximum daily payments $50.67. Extra services available at $12.50 per day.
Tier 3: Single room with ensuite.
Maximum refundable deposit $400,000.00 or maximum daily payments $63.34. Extra services available at $12.50 per day.
Further information on applicable fees can also be found in Q&A – Aged Care Costs.